Boating Accident Injuries?
Recreational boating is a popular activity along Massachusetts’ scenic coastline, rivers and lakes. However, boating accidents can cause catastrophic injuries. If you or a loved one has been injured in a boating accident, seek experienced legal counsel as soon as possible. Recovery from injuries can be costly and prevent you from returning to work right away.
At Casartello & Murphy, LLC, we understand the last thing on your mind after a boating accident may be calling an attorney to help with your recovery. Our compassionate lawyers will work with you from start to finish of your case. Email us or call our firm at 413-351-0915 for your free consultation today.
Boating Accidents Are Investigated By The Massachusetts Environmental Police
The Massachusetts Environmental Police (MEP) ensures boaters comply with boating regulations. When accidents occur, the MEP investigates.
Boat operators owe a duty of care to their passengers to know basic safe boating practices and comply with equipment requirements on their boat. When a boating accident occurs, the operator of the boat must:
- Stop the boat right away at the scene of the accident
- Help anyone injured or in danger, unless doing so would further endanger the passengers or the boat
- Give the boat identification information and his or her name and address to those injured by the accident
Additionally, the boat operator must give a written report of the accident to the MEP when the accident results in:
- The death or disappearance of a passenger — A report must be made within 48 hours of the accident
- Injuries that need medical attention — A report must be made within five days
- Over $500 in property damage
If the operator of the boat has breached their duty of care and their negligence caused your boating accident injuries, you can file a lawsuit for compensation.
Call Us For A Free Consultation Today
Boater injury accident claims are complex and can involve the Massachusetts Environmental Police. At Casartello & Murphy, LLC, our attorneys are seasoned personal injury lawyers. Schedule an appointment at our Springfield office by calling 413-351-0915. Tell us briefly about your boating accident by completing our online form.